Former Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz is back in Boston after being shot in the Dominican Republic on Sunday. As we told you before, the 43-year-old was at a bar in Santo Domingo when he was ambushed and shot. Since then, Ortiz underwent six hours of surgery to repair damage to his colon, galbladder, intestines and liver.
As soon as the incident was confirmed, the Red Sox sent a plane to pick him up and bring him back to the city where he played 14 seasons and won three World Series Championships. He’s currently being treated at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Meantime, a number of people have been arrested in connection with the investigation. But really? The incident has shaken the Red Sox nation – who paused during last night’s game to send Big Papi some love. For his part, Red Sox Manager Alex Cora says the reality is shocking everyone. "It's hard to believe…I keep praying, stay positive and when he comes back he will be taken care of and he'll be back with us," Cora said. "He'll be in that clubhouse with that big smile and that huge heart. ... They talk about superheroes without capes and he's a superhero without a cape, that's the way we see him so he'll be okay.”
Photo Credit: Getty Images