New York State Police are saying a 28-year-old man has died after a device meant to be used at a baby gender-reveal party exploded.
Christopher Pekny, the father-to-be, died on Sunday as a result of the blast. His younger brother, Michael Pekny, was also at the scene when the explosion occurred was transported to Garnet Health Medical Center in Middletown, New York, where he was treated for a leg injury.
New York State Police confirm that officers were responding to reports of an explosion heard around noon on Sunday. According to the New York State Police website, the incident is under investigation by the New York State Police and the New York State Police Bomb Disposal Unit.
Gender reveal parties while have become increasingly popular have also become dangerous. Earlier this month a man in Michigan was killed during a gender reveal party after he was struck from a "small cannon type device" fired during a baby shower.
An pyrotechnic device used in a gender reveal in California last summer was blamed for sparking wildfires that consumed more than 20,000 acres and caused millions in damages