While Thanksgiving will definitely look different this year due to COVID-19, not everyone is ready to give up on holiday traditions, and that includes travel.
A new TripAdvisor survey finds:
- 56% of Americans still plan to travel this Thanksgiving.
- That number is down 14% from last year’s travel numbers.
- Of those who are traveling, 36% plan to rely on their car to get them where they are going, while only 11% will take to the sky.
- Rather than stay with family, 22% plan to stay in a hotel or vacation rental in order to practice social distancing.
When it comes to when they’ll travel:
- Thanksgiving Day will be the busiest departure day, with 26% of folks on the road.
- 43% of people plan to leave for Thanksgiving the weekend before.
- 31% of travelers will return on November 27th, making it the busiest Thanksgiving return day.
- When it comes to travel locations, Key Largo, Florida is the fastest recovering destination, up 71% from last year. Other recovering locations include:
- Sedona, AZ (+50%)
- Key West, FL (+36%)
- Scottsdale, AZ (+36%)
- On the flipside, New York City is the slowest to recover, down 80% over last year, followed by:
- New Orleans, LA (-75%)
- Los Angeles CA (-62%)