The New York City Fire Department lost 343 members during the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center. Since the attacks the FDNY lost 226 members due to World Trade Center-related illnesses including forms of cancer and respiratory disease.
Yesterday, the FDNY paid tribute to 27 of these heroes lost during the past year by adding their names to the FDNY World Trade Center Memorial Wall at the department’s headquarters at Brooklyn’s MetroTech Center.
“Our Department made a solemn promise to never forget the bravery and sacrifice of the 343 members who gave their lives on September 11th, and the growing list of heroes who have died due to illnesses related to their courageous work throughout the rescue and recovery effort,” said Fire Commissioner Daniel A. Nigro. “Though we are unable to join in person this year to remember these 27 extraordinary individuals, we still pause to honor that promise by ensuring their memory lives on with their inclusion on our World Trade Center memorial wall.”
The following members’ names were added to the Memorial Wall:
- Firefighter Owen T. Carlock of Ladder Company 122, Brooklyn.
- Firefighter Robert M. Gless of Engine Company 329, Rockaway, Queens.
- Firefighter John B. O’Brien of Engine Company 329, Rockaway, Queens.
- Firefighter James J. Hurson of Engine Company 318, Brooklyn.
- Captain Robert E. Collis of Engine Company 304, Queens Village, Queens.
- Firefighter Joseph Walsh of Ladder Company 32, Bronx.
- Auto Mechanic James J. Sottile, FDNY Shops Bureau.
- Firefighter Joseph R. Losinno of Engine Company 302, Jamaica, Queens.
- Firefighter Robert B. Fitzgibbon of Engine Company 47, Morningside Heights.
- Firefighter Walter E. McKee of Battalion 39, Brooklyn.
- Firefighter John W. Boyle of Rescue 1, Manhattan.
- Firefighter Roger Espinal of Engine Company 320, Auburndale, Queens.
- Firefighter Richard J. Tanagretta of Rescue 5, Staten Island.
- Firefighter Andrew S. Gargiulo of Engine Company 160, Staten Island.
- Lieutenant Richard G. Estreicher of Engine Company 248, Brooklyn.
- Firefighter Clifford R. DiMuro of Ladder Company 137, Rockaway Park, Queens.
- Captain Dennis M. Gilhooly of Engine Company 67, Washington Heights.
- Firefighter Brian W. Casse of Engine Company 294, Richmond Hill, Queens.
- Firefighter Michael L. Feldman of Ladder Company 161, Brooklyn.
- Firefighter Richard B. Jones of Ladder Company 25, Upper West Side.
- Lieutenant Paul W. Deo Jr. of Engine Company 317, St. Albans, Queens.
- Firefighter Joseph A. Hatzelman of Engine Company 218, Brooklyn.
- Firefighter Daniel R. Foley of Rescue 3, Bronx.
- Battalion Chief of Dennis J. Moynihan of Battalion 18, Bronx.
- Firefighter John H. Marr of Engine Company 34, Midtown Manhattan.
- Lieutenant Kevin C. Dunn of Engine Company 251, Glen Oaks, Queens.
- Firefighter Paul J. Greco of Squad Company 270, Richmond Hill, Queens.