It looks like the coronavirus is going to ruin summer for a lot of people. A new survey finds that most people don’t expect they’ll be able to travel anywhere during the busy summer travel season.
According to the survey:
- 48% of Americans have canceled their summer travel plans due to the coronavirus.
- One in six Americans plan to wait a full year before traveling again.
- 46% of Americans say they lost money after canceling upcoming travel plans, with the average amount lost $854.30 per person.
- Most of those losses came from:
- Airline tickets (59%)
- Hotel rooms (44%)
- Tour/activities (25%)
- Airbnb (22%)
- Cruise deposits (21%)
- And while 20% of Americans say they are planning a celebratory trip once the coronavirus crisis ends, their views about the travel industry have changed.
- In fact, 43% view the travel industry more negatively because of the coronavirus crisis.
- 55% say they are less likely to ever take a cruise again.
- 52% are less likely to travel overseas.