Mayor Bill de Blasio is apologizing after a mistake at a ceremony honoring 8 people killed in last Halloween’s terror attack.
De Blasio spoke at the event on Wednesday, but in his initial remarks he didn’t read the names of the victims. On Thursday, the mayor blamed his staff.
“The names were not given to me originally. Of course I would have read them. I didn’t know if someone else in the program was going to read them. I just didn’t have those details,” de Blasio said.
When de Blasio was shaking hands with the mourners after his initial comments, one of them mentioned that he should have read the names of the victims. That caused the mayor to return to the podium to do just that.
“The event was put together way too late. It was not originally planned. It was not something planned way out,” de Blasio said.
The ceremony honored eight people killed last year when an alleged ISIS supporter in a rented truck slammed into a crowd of people in a bike path near the West Side Highway. Sayfullo Saipov is charged in the attack and is expected to stand trial next year.
Photo Credit: Getty Images