Poughkeepsie schools are closed on Wednesday because of a school shooting threat on social media.
Superintendent Nicole Williams said every threat is taken seriously and class has been canceled “out of an abundance of caution.”
Immediate action has been taken. We are working closely with the City of Poughkeepsie Police Department and the FBI. The appropriate authorities are actively investigating this issue with the highest priority. The safety of our staff and students is our number one priority,” Williams said in a statement.
The exact nature of the threat isn’t know and it’s unclear if there have been any arrests. Williams promised to keep students and parents updated on any developments.
This is just the latest threat that’s impacted schools since the shooting in Parkland, Florida two weeks ago. The FBI said it’s received tips regarding about 40 potential threats in the New York area.
Secaucus is adding armed security guards to schools in the aftermath of the Parkland tragedy. Existing security officers at the schools are also receiving weapons training.
"I don't think we have a choice. Am I okay with it? No, but I don't think that there are any other options," one parent said. "There's no way that you can keep the kids in the school system safe even with armed police officers in there."
Students returned to class at Nutley High School this week after a threat earlier in February. Just before a school break, a video was posted on Instagram that resulted in school being canceled.
Extra security was on hand at Dumont High School in New Jersey on Tuesday after a 15-year-old allegedly threatened to “shoot up” the school. That student was taken into custody after a rifle was found in his home.
"He seemed like a normal kid. It's just a pretty unfortunate thing to happen and I hope that he gets the help that he needs," one student told WOR's Alice Stockton-Rossini.
Photo Credit: Getty Images