The Miss USA Pageant went down last night with Miss North Carolina Cheslie Kryst, a 28-year-old lawyer from Charlotte, winning the crown in Reno, Nevada. The first runner up prize went to Miss New Mexico, Alejandra Gonzalez, while Miss Oklahoma,Triana Browne took second-runner up.
In case you didn’t tune in, here’s what you missed:
- There was plenty of diversity in the Top Three, with all of the winners minorities. Champ Kryst is African American, Gonzalez is first-generation Mexican-American, and Browne, a member of the Chickasaw Nation, has a white father and African American mother.
- Two contestants opted for a one-piece monokini bathing suit as opposed to a bikini.
- 2017’s Miss Universe Nel-Peters was a judge and showed off her huge engagement ring from fiancé Tim Tebow.
- Nick and Vanessa Lachey co-hosted the pageant, with Nick singing “The Way You Look Tonight” during the evening gown portion of the night.
- Lizzo’s body positive song “Juice” was performed during the swimsuit competition, with mixed reactions from social media, with some wondering why a song about embracing curves was performed as a bunch of thin girls walked on stage in bikinis.