If you’ll be headed in the coming weeks for the holidays, you need to brace yourself for some headaches because you definitely won't be the only one.
- According to the AAA, over 115.6 million folks will be traveling for the year-end holidays (December 21stto January 1st ).
- That’s the largest number of travelers in the 20 years AAA has been tracking holiday travel, and about a 3.9% increase from last year.
So, how is everyone getting where they’re going?
- The worst headache for travelers will likely be on the roads, with 104.8 million people expected to drive to their holiday destination, a 3.9% increase from last year.
- INRIX predicts Thursday, December 26thand Friday, December 27thwill be the worst days to drive, with folks experiencing double the travel times, although places like New York, and Washington, DC should expect triple the travel times.
- Not that the airports won’t be bad as well. An estimated 6.97 million Americans are expected to take to the sky, which is a 4.9% increase from 2018.
- Other modes of travel, including cruises, trains and buses, will see a 3% increase, with 3.81 million travelers expected.
As for where most people are going, it seems warm destinations are calling people, and would anybody really blame folks for trying to escape the cold. This year’s top holiday destination is Orlando, Florida followed by Anaheim, California.
Top Ten Holiday Destinations
- Orlando, FL
- Anaheim, CA
- Honolulu, Hawaii
- Kahului (Maui), Hawaii
- Las Vegas, NV
- Fort Lauderdale, FL
- New York, NY
- Miami, FL
- Tampa, FL
- Phoenix, AZ